Hanze University of Applied Sciences Groningen is looking for an inspirational leader who can effectively continue to build on the Prince Claus Conservatoire’s (PCC) educational innovations and prepare the school for the challenges of the future in the strategic context: a university of applied sciences that is versatile and engaged (Engaged University).
The dean is faced with the task of generating impact based on vision and content using strong strategic competences. The ideal candidate will develop an inspiring vision, while identifying relevant trends and opportunities for the Conservatoire and translating them into feasible concrete goals. The dean shows creative initiative in overseeing team leaders and research professors. The dean is committed to actively promoting culture and music to a wider audience in order to position the knowledge institution firmly within the cultural sector. The dean is responsible for the Conservatoire and acts as leading dean for the multidisciplinary Research Centre Art & Society.
The dean uses strong enterprising and creative skills to establish fruitful collaborations with relevant internal and external stakeholders — collaborations whose goal is strengthening the school’s regional, national, and international reputation and networks. Energetic social commitment and demonstrable affinity for the cultural sector, education and research are essential in order to effectively progress the PCC’s vision and strategy.
In close collaboration with the management team, the dean is responsible internally for guaranteeing that all the activities of the Conservatoire maintain the highest standards. In conjunction with other deans and directors, the dean acts as sparring partner for the Executive Board, contributes to collaborative projects within Hanze University of Applied Sciences and guides the further development and implementation of the organisation’s strategic plan.
Qualifications and Experience
In order to successfully fulfil this challenging role, the ideal candidate possesses the following professional qualifications, personal characteristics and relevant experience:
- A strongly developed personal vision for the cultural domain in general and music in particular, along with an understanding of the relevance and dynamic relation of that vision to higher education; the ambition to further develop the PCC’s profile and the Research Centre Art & Society’s domain and successfully prepare for the future; the ambition to work on the further internationalisation of the PCC.
- Demonstrated innovative leadership, particularly in the application of structure and direction in order to realise change; the ability to create a safe social climate for students and faculty within the PCC, and the ability to stimulate and help staff develop their talent and careers; business acumen and affinity for higher education and the dynamic that drives the success of a renowned conservatoire; the ability to listen and communicate succinctly, clearly and in an inspiring manner with tact and integrity.
- Relevant and extensive regional, national, and international networks in the world of higher education and/or the cultural sector; able to build bridges that link different relevant professional working fields; political sensitivity and the skills required to lobby on behalf of the PCC while at the same time balancing the needs and interests of the PCC with those of Hanze University of Applied Sciences as a whole; a talent for developing, managing, and maintaining relationships.
- Proven ability to act as external ambassador; capable of recognising opportunities and developing strategies in concert with important internal and external partners, including those in the cultural sector, music industry, government, and other organisations; the drive to strengthen the social and economic relevance of the impact of the PCC’s teaching and research by realising innovation.
Knowledge and Attributes
- Good command of the English language and a completed Master’s degree are required. To develop personal involvement and stay engaged with actual practice, command of the Dutch language (or willingness to learn it) is also a requirement.
Application and Selection Procedure
Hanze University of Applied Sciences Groningen is being guided in this recruitment procedure by Perrett Laver. For informal information and questions regarding the position, please contact Perrett Laver by calling +31 20 2404 379 or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications can be uploaded at www.perrettlaver.com/candidates; please state the reference number 5118 on your application. The deadline for applications is 4 June 2021 at 9.00 am (CET).
Applications should include a letter of motivation, including your qualifications for the post, plus a complete CV. The hiring procedure may include an assessment test. The appointment will be made by the Executive Board on the recommendation of the appointment advisory committee (BAC).
- Job type/category
- Minimal education
- Minimal experience
- 5 Years+ Experience
- Other location
- Language requirements
- Other language requirement
- Working language(s)
- Other working language
- Deadline for application
- 04 Jun, 2021
- Start date
- 18 May, 2021