The University of Music and Performing Arts Graz, Doctoral School for Artistic Research, is offering a position for a
University Professorship for Artistic Research in Music
presumably beginning with the summer semester 2023 and based on § 98 of the Universities Act.
The University of Music and Performing Arts Graz – the KUG -, with around 2,300 students at its Graz and Oberschützen campuses, is an international university offering a wide range of courses in music and the performing arts. With 17 institutes, 2 doctoral schools and a centre for gender studies it offers highly qualified training as well as research and development and exploration of the arts. We engage with international developments in the arts, pedagogy and research and enquire the significance of art and culture in society.
For researchers, the university offers an attractive environment. The focus is on music-related research, ranging from natural science and technology to social science and humanities-related approaches, and includes artistic research in particular. Theatre studies and gender studies complete the research portfolio. As a place of education and as an employer, the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz sees itself as part of an open society, whose diversity it takes into account in its activities. We see the potential of gender, diversity and sustainability as an opportunity in the transformation of the art and culture scene and for the further development of our institution.
In filling this position, we are pursuing the goal of significantly encouraging the active organisation and strategic development of artistic research at the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz, in particular also of the Centre for Artistic Research, which is currently being founded, as well as the artistic-scientific Dr. artium programme. We are looking for a personality who is very familiar with the current discourses on Artistic Research and who fundamentally shares our understanding of artistic research as presented here, but who will also engage in the critical discussion of various approaches and positions and contribute to the broader incorporation of artistic research within the institution.
· responsible representation and promotion of the subject area in research and teaching
· independent research activities and management of third-party funded research projects
· teaching particularly in courses of the Dr.art. degree programme for which a venia docendi is required
· managing of the Doctoral School for Artistic Research, possibly of a future centre for artistic research
· acquisition of third-party funding
· supervision of theses
· active participation in the further development of the university’s teaching environment and its artistic and scholarly life, as well as helping shape the academic autonomy of the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz
· participation in organisational, administrative and evaluation duties
· a degree at the doctoral level from an Austrian or comparable foreign educational institute relevant to the position (artistic or scientific, preferably Dr.art. or comparable degree) or adequate achievements in the form of substantial publications on artistic research that can be considered as cumulative dissertation
· habilitation or comparable achievements, e.g. proof of successful acquisition and management of several third-party funded artistic research projects
· an outstanding international reputation in the field of artistic research
· being familiar with the current discourse on artistic research
· pedagogical and didactic aptitude for university teaching at an excellent level
· own artistic practice at university level
· competence and/or experience in the areas of gender and diversity
· If German is not the native language, it is assumed that there is the willingness to learn German with the aim of reaching at least level B2 within a fixed period of time.
A prerequisite for the acceptance as an employee at the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz is the proof of a valid vaccination status against COVID-19 in the sense of the COVID-19 Vaccination Obligation Act, unless an exception as defined in the aforementioned law applies. If this proof cannot be provided on the day of the beginning of the employment relationship, no employment relationship will be established.
Contract: indefinite employment contract according to § 25 of the collective agreement for university employees.
Level of employment: full-time
Pay: Collective agreement minimum monthly salary currently € 5,437.70 gross (14 x annually); any higher salary can be made the subject of appointment negotiations.
Interested candidates with the appropriate qualifications are invited to submit their written application including a cover letter as well as documents verifying the employment requirements listed above (CV, certificates, list of publications and courses held etc.).
End of application period: 07.04.2022
Applications should be sent electronically under reference 07/22 to bewerbung-UProf@kug.ac.at
The university is striving to increase the proportion of women in its artistic staff and therefore strongly encourages qualified women to apply. Women will be given preference in the case of equal qualification.
Applicants are not entitled to compensation for the travel and lodging expenses that arise during the application procedure.
Following the concept of social sustainability at the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz, which interprets all aspects of special requirements, persons with special needs will be given preference in the case of equal qualification.
On behalf of the Rectorate
- Job type/category
- Minimal education
- Minimal experience
- 5 Years+ Experience
- Other location
- Language requirements
- Working language(s)
- Deadline for application
- 07 Apr, 2022
- Start date
- 01 Mar, 2023