The University of Music and Performing Arts Graz, Institute of Early Music and Performance Practice, is offering a position for a
University Professorship for Historical Wind Instruments / Recorder
presumably beginning with the winter semester 2023/24 and based on § 98 of the Universities Act.
The University of Music and Performing Arts Graz – the KUG -, with around 2,300 students at its Graz and Oberschützen campuses, is an international university offering a wide range of courses in music and the performing arts. Located in the heart of Europe, we build on the cultural heritage of our region and at the same time explore the current different positioning in the contemporary arts. We engage with international developments in the arts, pedagogy and research and enquire the significance of art and culture in society. It is in a cooperative way that teachers and students work in the joint knowledge process. We see the potential of gender, diversity and sustainability as an opportunity in the transformation of the artistic and cultural sector and for the further development of our institution.
The Institute of Early Music and Performance Practice sees itself as an interface between research, teaching and podium for the Historically Informed Performance Practice. The main artistic subject Historical Wind Instruments / Recorder is firmly anchored in the music of the 16th to 18th centuries. As an ideal ensemble instrument, the recorder holds an important place in the centre of the institute, but also occupies an important place in the music of the 20th and 21st centuries. The innovative curriculum offers students broad options for choice and specialization. Numerous projects and cooperations with other institutes and institutions enrich the range of courses on offer.
• teaching in the fields of study Early Music and Instrumental and Vocal Pedagogy in the main artistic subject “Historical Wind Instruments/Recorder”, as well as in the subjects “Recorder ensemble/Contemporary music” and “Repertoire studies and Organology of main subject”
• responsible representation and promotion of the field in its entirety, in particular in the arts-based research
• project collaboration in the artistic and scientific field within the institute, the KUG and in cooperation with national and international partner institutions
• active participation in the further development of the university’s teaching environment and its artistic and scholarly life, as well as helping shape the academic autonomy of the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz
• participation in organisational, administrative and evaluation duties
• a degree from an Austrian or comparable foreign educational institute that suits the position, or an equivalent artistic aptitude
• outstanding personality with the highest artistic qualification for any kind of recorders and for the field of the Historically Informed Performance Practice
• outstanding international musical-artistic reputation as well as extensive performance activities
• experience in complementary fields such as musicology, music pedagogy, transdisciplinarity, improvisation, etc.
• experience in contemporary music
• outstanding pedagogical and didactic competency as well as teaching experience
• willingness to work in a team
• competence and/or experience in the areas of Gender and Diversity
• If German is not the native language, it is assumed that there is the willingness to learn German with the aim of reaching at least level B2 within a fixed period of time.
Experience in teaching at a postsecondary level is an advantage.
KUG attaches particular importance to risk reduction in relation to the pandemic. Therefore, it is desirable that applicants are vaccinated against COVID-19, at the latest at the commencement of employment.
Contract: indefinite employment contract according to § 25 of the collective agreement for university employees
Level of employment: part-time, employment extent of 50 % of full-employment
Pay: Collective agreement minimum monthly salary currently € 2,718.85 gross (14 x annually); any higher salary can be made the subject of appointment negotiations.
We look forward to receiving your written application together with documents proving the above-mentioned employment requirements.
End of application period: 25.07.2022
Applications should be sent electronically under reference 21/22 to bewerbung-UProf@kug.ac.at
The university is striving to increase the proportion of women in its artistic staff and therefore strongly encourages qualified women to apply. Women will be given preference in the case of equal qualification.
Applicants are not entitled to compensation for the travel and lodging expenses that arise during the application procedure.
Following the concept of social sustainability at the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz, which interprets all aspects of special requirements, persons with special needs will be given preference in the case of equal qualification.
On behalf of the Rectorate
- Job type/category
- Minimal education
- degree or equivalent artistic aptitude
- Minimal experience
- 5 Years+ Experience
- Austria, Graz,
- Language requirements
- Working language(s)
- Deadline for application
- 25 Jul, 2022
- Start date
- 01 Oct, 2023