The University of Music and Performing Arts Graz – Institute for Jazz Research – is offering a position beginning with 1 February 2024 for a
Senior Scientist (w/m/d) with a doctorate for jazz and popular music research
The University of Music and Performing Arts Graz – the KUG – with around 2,300 students at its campuses in Graz and Oberschützen, is an international university offering a wide range of courses in music and the performing arts. Located in the heart of Europe, we build on the cultural heritage of our region and at the same time explore and contribute to current trends in the contemporary arts. We engage with international developments in the arts, pedagogy and research, and explore the significance of art and culture in society. Teachers and students work cooperatively in this process. For researchers, our university offers an attractive environment. The focus is on music-related research, ranging from natural science and technology to social science and humanities approaches, and also includes artistic research. Theatre studies and gender research complete our research portfolio. We are committed to fostering gender mainstreaming, diversity, and sustainability in order to transform the artistic and cultural sector, as well as to further develop our institution.
- independent research activities with the aim of further qualification
- independent teaching of courses and holding exams
- supervision of students
- participation is essential in research projects and teaching duties in the organisational unit
- participation in examinations
- participation in organisational, administrative and evaluation duties
- completion of the doctorate in an appropriate professional study area
- clear focus and feasible concept of planned scholarly activities within the context of jazz and popular music studies (or one of both areas) at the Institute
- publications in international journals and publishing houses
- papers at international conferences
- very good command of English; German language skills are advantageous, but not a precondition of employment
- experiences in publishing and in the maintenance of websites are desirable
- willingness to work in teams
- competence and/or experience in the areas of gender and diversity
Experience in the field of Science Communication (Science Outreach) is welcome.
Contract: Position limited until 31.08.2026
Level of employment: Part-time, employment extent of 75 % of full-employment
Salary: Collective agreement minimum monthly gross salary currently € 3,263.93 (14 x annually); a higher salary may be negotiated.
The University of Music and Performing Arts Graz aims to increase the proportion of women among its artistic and scientific staff and therefore explicitly invites qualified women to apply. In the event of underrepresentation, women with equal qualifications will be given priority.
Persons with disabilities or chronic illnesses who meet the required qualification criteria are expressly invited to apply.
We look forward to receiving your written application including a cover letter and other documents (CV, certificates, list of publications, courses held etc.) to email@example.com.
Application deadline: 20.12.2023
Reference number: 123/23
Applicants are not entitled to compensation for the travel and lodging expenses that arise during the application procedure.
On behalf of the rectorate
- Job type/category
- Minimal education
- Minimal experience
- 1 - 3 Years Experience
- Language requirements
- English, German,
- Working language(s)
- English, German,
- Deadline for application
- 20 Dec, 2023
- Start date
- 01 Feb, 2024