Advocacy is one of the main priorities and core tasks of the AEC. AEC understands advocacy as systematic and targeted actions to represent and safeguard the interests of its members, in particular vis-à-vis political decision-makers and partner organisations, but also with other stakeholders and the civil society as a whole.
AEC acts as advocates for its members institutions’ activities on several levels:
- We represent the interests of AEC members vis-à-vis the organs and institutions of the European Union (EU) and beyond, by:
- meeting regularly with members of the European Parliament and the European Commission
- acting as the natural contact for the EU institutions when matters concerning Music Higher Education (HE) are discussed at hearings and consultations
- taking part in stakeholder groups, information sessions and/or conferences organised by the EU institutions and beyond
- writing policy papers
- launching campaigns or contribution to existing advocacy campaigns
- We join forces with partner organisations:
- through mutual support and the creation of synergies when organising events and launching policy campaigns
- by bundling shared interests (e.g. with other actors from the higher education, art and/or cultural policy sectors)
- through active participation in the boards of partner associations
- We participate in global networks:
- through regular exchange with the higher music education sector outside of Europe
- through transcontinental research projects
- We support AEC member institutions in their own advocacy activities, by:
- by giving advice with regard to management issues in higher music education, such as project funding, learning & teaching, quality assurance, innovation & change
- by creating platforms for exchange and inter-institutional collaboration
- by providing models of good practice
- at the invitation of a (group of) higher music education institution(s), meeting representatives of their local governments (in order to represent the voice of the sector in the context of educational, cultural or other reforms)
- at the invitation of a (group of) higher music education institution(s), writing letters to local governments to advocate for a certain cause
Apart from the AEC’s continuous efforts regarding the situation of members, fellow institutions, students and academic staff in Ukraine, the association has been involved in networking and advocacy activities in Brussels and online
AEC has worked further with partners towards a better recognition of artistic research and has joined a European Pact for Skills to strengthen the sector. The European Commission has responded to one of AEC’s initiatives to support Ukraine.
Directly or indirectly, the war determines the current activities of the AEC in April 2022, e.g. in terms of facilitating the provision of study places or job opportunities for refugees from Ukraine.
Do you want to get in touch with us about advocacy?