AEC-SMS – Strengthening Music in Society
Higher Music Education Institutions (HMEIs) play a crucial role to safeguard, develop and promote European cultural heritage and diversity, to facilitate access to cultural offerings and cultural education for all, and to contribute to economic growth through the creation of new jobs and new business models in the creative sector. With support from the European Commission through the scheme “European Networks” of the Creative Europe programme, AEC can continue to support and encourage Music HEIs to adapt to change, embrace innovation and open up new fields of activities through the project Strengthening Music in Society (AEC-SMS).
AEC-SMS represents a bold new step in the Association’s continuing work to provide this impetus and runs from December 2017 to November 2021. Together with experts that form the different working groups the AEC will be working on the following objectives.
- Music’s and Music Higher Education Institutions’ (HEIs’) Role in Society: To raise consciousness for the social responsibility of artists and music HEIs and for governments’ political responsibility to foster cultural organisations. (We will start to work on this objective at the end of 2018)
- Diversity, Identity, Inclusiveness: To encourage Music HEIs to open their educational offer towards more diversity and to promote inclusiveness throughout their activities.
- Entrepreneurial mind-set for musicians: To embed entrepreneurial skills in the education of the artist to better prepare students for their future role as musician-entrepreneur.
- Internationalisation and transnational mobility: To help music students and teachers to internationalise their careers and activities.
- Shaping the musician of tomorrow through innovative ‘Learning&Teaching’ (L&T): To explore and discuss new L&T models enabling Music HEIs to educate creative and communicating musicians. This strand will be coordinated jointly with the Centre of Excellence in Music Performance Education (CEMPE) of the Norwegian Academy of Music.
- Teacher education in the digital age: To encourage the use of digital technologies in music education. This strand will be fully coordinated by the European Music Schools Union (EMU) and involve representatives of the European Association of Music in Schools (EAS).
- Involving Youth – Increasing Student Voice: To strengthen student voice within the Association and within all AEC member institutions and to establish a European network of Higher Music Education students – which could possibly take the form for a European Association by 2021.
- Early Childhood Music Education: To increase the quality of early childhood music education, and thus extend the audience of tomorrow.