Strand 2: Diversity, Identity, Inclusiveness
The specific objective of this strand is to encourage higher music education institutions to open their educational offer so as to answer the needs and requirements of diversity and promote inclusiveness throughout their activities.
Each project strand is carried out by a working group (WG), composed of representatives of AEC member institutions, a student and representatives of relevant external partners.
The outcomes of this Working Group are available on the SMS website.
Activities and tasks of the working group include:
- COLLECTING AND MAPPING PRACTICES AND EXAMPLES
- Collecting and mapping practices within but also outside the AEC membership of how ‘diverse cultures’ such as grass root cultures, minority cultures and cultural practices with a migration background can be more integrated in the training of musicians. This has resulted in a publication How are ‘diverse cultures’ integrated in the training of musicians across Europe?
- Exploring examples of audience engagement/development formats implemented in higher music education institutions with a focus on the target group of refugees and on cultural practices with a migratory background
- DEVELOPING A PUBLICATION
- Developing guidelines for a curriculum in diverse cultures with a focus on skills, competences and know-how to be developed by student artists, and deliver a workshop on these guidelines prior to an AEC Congress
- CONTRIBUTING TO AEC EVENTS PROGRAMME
- Presenting the results of the WG at AEC events (such as AEC Congress 2018, AEC Pop and Jazz Platform (PJP) Meeting in February 2019)
- Contributing to preparing the AEC Congress 2020 on Societal impact and audience engagement together with other SMS working groups, and the AEC Congress 2021 (showcasing the outcomes of the SMS project)
- COOPERATING WITH OTHER WG AND WITH EXTERNAL PARTNERS
- Giving input to other SMS working groups (including to the WG on Music’s and higher music education institutions’ role in society)
- Ensuring a close cooperation with the AEC Pop and Jazz Platform Working Group and with external partners
Working group members
Popakademie Baden-Württemberg, Mannheim, Germany (Chair)
Berklee College of Music – Valencia Campus, Valencia, Spain
Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Pôle Aliénor, Poitiers, France (student representative)
University of Music and Performing Arts Graz, Graz, Austria
Sibelius Academy, University of the Arts Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Academy of Music, Zagreb, Croatia
AEC Office, Brussels, Belgium (Working Group Coordinator)