Strand 5: Platform for learning and teaching in music performance education (LATIMPE)
LATIMPE is a joint initiative launched by AEC and Centre of Excellence in Music Performance Education (CEMPE) at the Norwegian Academy of Music in the framework of the project Strengthening Music in Society (AEC-SMS). It aims to be a broad and inclusive network of AEC member institutions developing projects and activities with the aim of investigating, developing and strengthening learning and teaching processes in music performance education across all musical genres. The platform builds on previous and ongoing AEC platforms and projects, as well as regional projects on learning and teaching from all member institutions.
LATIMPE’s goal is to strengthen the ability of higher music education institutions to explore and discuss learning and teaching that meet the demands of the 21st century, by active collaboration between students, teachers, and researchers in all relevant fields of higher music education. Through facilitating a platform for collaboration through events, an expert working group and online, LATIMPE aims to:
- facilitate institutional networks in the global field of music performance education
- gather information on and investigate learning and teaching practices in music performance education
- share knowledge through workshops, conferences, presentations, publications and online media
- collaborate with existing projects on learning and teaching carried out by AEC member institutions
- stimulate the development of new projects on learning and teaching in music performance education
- Collecting examples of interesting learning practices aimed at educating creative, reflective and communicating musicians and culture workers
- Analysing information on the collected practices searching for key ingredients
- Developing a website that was launched in October 2018. Check it out at www.latimpe.eu
- Developing a publication on student involvement and collaborative learning and teaching to be published in 2019
The outcomes of this Working Group are available on the SMS website.
Working group members
Jon Helge Sætre
CEMPE, Norwegian Academy of Music Oslo (Chair)
Rhythmic Music Conservatory Copenhagen
Anna Maria Bordin
Conservatorio Paganini Genova
Susanne van Els
Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama Cardiff
Norwegian Academy of Music Oslo (Student representative)
Ellen M. Stabell
CEMPE, Norwegian Academy of Music Oslo (Working Group Coordinator)
Conservatoire National Supérieur de Musique et de Danse de Lyon
In October 2018, The WG organised the AEC and CEMPE conference Becoming musicians: student involvement and teacher collaboration in higher music education. The conference gathered 120 teachers, students, researchers and leaders from 44 different institutions from all around Europe for 3 days of presentations, workshops and discussions on central issues in higher music education.
The WG also presented their work at the AEC Congress in Graz in November 2018.
- a discussion session at the Pop and Jazz Platform meeting in Trondheim in February 2019
- a session at the AEC Congress in Turin in November 2019