The University of Music and Performing Arts Graz, Institute of Composition, Theory of Music, History of Music and Conducting, is offering a position for a
University Professorship for Education in Composition and Music Theory
presumably beginning with the winter semester 2023/24 and based on § 98 of the Universities Act.
The University of Music and Performing Arts Graz – the KUG- is an internationally renowned educational institution in the heart of Europe with campuses in Graz and Oberschützen. At 17 institutes, two doctoral schools and a centre for gender research, it offers highly qualified teaching and research as well as the development, exploration and analysis of the arts. The focus is on Artistic Citizenship and the connection between Austrian musical tradition and the innovative contemporary positioning. For researchers, the university offers an attractive environment. The focus is on music-related research, ranging from natural science and technology to social science and humanities approaches, and also includes artistic research. Theatre studies and gender research complete the research portfolio. As a place of education and as an employer, the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz sees itself as part of an open society that takes diversity into account through its work. We see the potential of gender, diversity and sustainability as an opportunity in the transformation of the artistic and cultural sector and for the further development of our institution.
• responsible representation and promotion of the subject area in research and teaching
• teaching particularly in subject-specific courses of the main curricula of Education in Composition and Music Theory (Bachelor and Master study programs)
• acquisition of third-party funding
• supervision of theses (BA, MA, PhD, Dr.art.)
• further development and representation of the subject area, especially development of special curricula
• active participation in the further development of the university’s teaching environment and its artistic and scholarly life, as well as helping shape the academic autonomy of the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz
• participation in organisational, administrative and evaluation duties
• a degree at the doctoral level from an Austrian or comparable foreign educational institute relevant to the position
• Habilitation and/or a qualification equal to the Habilitation in the subject area to be filled
• outstanding scholarly reputation
• pedagogical and didactic aptitude for university teaching at an excellent level
• many years of experience in the diverse practical fields of Education in Composition and Music Theory
• extensive, independent and distinctive compositional work or comparable music-theoretical activity with a strong emphasis on recent musical forms (new music, intermedial art forms, free improvisation, electronic music etc.)
• substantial experience in practice and communication of contemporary tendencies of musical forms of composition (new music, intermedial art forms, free improvisation, electronic music etc.)
• competence and/or experience in the areas of Gender and Diversity
• If German is not the native language, it is assumed that there is the willingness to learn German with the aim of reaching at least level B2 within a fixed period of time.
KUG attaches particular importance to risk reduction in relation to the pandemic. Therefore, it is desirable that applicants are vaccinated against COVID-19, at the latest at the commencement of employment.
Contract: indefinite employment contract according to § 25 of the Collective Agreement for University Employees
Level of employment: full-time
Pay: Collective agreement minimum monthly salary currently € 5,437.70 gross (14 x annually); any higher salary can be made the subject of appointment negotiations.
Interested candidates with the appropriate qualifications are invited to submit their written application including a cover letter as well as documents verifying the employment requirements listed above (CV, certificates, list of publications and courses held etc.).
End of application period: 27.10.2022
Applications should be sent electronically under reference 54/22 to bewerbung-UProf@kug.ac.at
The university is striving to increase the proportion of women in its academic staff and therefore strongly encourages qualified women to apply. Women will be given preference in the case of equal qualification.
Applicants are not entitled to compensation for the travel and lodging expenses that arise during the application procedure.
Following the concept of social sustainability at the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz, which interprets all aspects of special requirements, persons with special needs will be given preference in the case of equal qualification.
On behalf of the Rectorate
- Minimal education
- Experience level
- Senior level
- Language requirements
- Working language(s)
- Deadline for application
- 27 Oct, 2022
- Start date
- 01 Oct, 2023