The University of Music and Performing Arts Graz, Institute of Voice, Lied and Oratorio, is offering a position for a
University Professorship for Performance Practice in Contemporary Music Vocal (PPCM Vocal)
presumably beginning with the summer semester 2023 and based on § 99 of the Universities Act.
The University of Music and Performing Arts Graz – the KUG -, with around 2,300 students at its Graz and Oberschützen campuses, is an international university offering a wide range of courses in music and the performing arts. Located in the heart of Europe, we build on the cultural heritage of our region and at the same time explore the current different positioning in the contemporary arts. We engage with international developments in the arts, pedagogy and research and enquire the significance of art and culture in society. It is in a cooperative way that teachers and students work in the joint knowledge process. We see the potential of gender, diversity and sustainability as an opportunity in the transformation of the artistic and cultural sector and for the further development of our institution.
The professorship advertised here represents an extension of the master’s study program “Performance Practice in Contemporary Music (PPCM) Vocal”, which has existed since the winter semester 2020/21, whose vision is to enable classically trained singers to receive a sound education and specialization in contemporary vocal music. PPCM Vocal is a partner study program of the master’s study program PPCM Instrumental, led by Klangforum Wien. There are joint productions between the two programs as well as lively artistic exchange.
· Teaching particularly in the main artistic subjects “Voice PPCM” and “Project PPCM-Vocal” as well as in the subject “Expressive and Performative Movement”
· Responsible representation and promotion of the field in its entirety, in particular in the arts-based research
· Active participation in the further development of the university’s teaching environment and its artistic and scholarly life, as well as helping shape the academic autonomy of the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz
· Participation in organizational, administrative and evaluation duties
· A degree in Classical Voice from an Austrian or comparable foreign educational institute that suits the position, or an equivalent artistic aptitude
· Skills in the field of “Vocal Extended Techniques”
· Profound knowledge of the vocal repertoire in the 20th/21st century
· Internationally outstanding career as a singer and performer in the field of contemporary music
· Exceptional artistic, pedagogical and didactic competency in the area of performative art and acting expressiveness
· Willingness to work in a team
· Willingness to work on committees
· Commitment to the further development of the study program PPCM Vocal
· Competence and/or experience in the areas of Gender and Diversity
· If German is not the native language, it is assumed that there is the willingness to learn German with the aim of reaching at least level B2 within a fixed period of time.
KUG attaches particular importance to risk reduction in relation to the pandemic. Therefore, it is desirable that applicants are vaccinated against COVID-19, at the latest at the commencement of employment.
Contract: Temporary employment relationship pursuant to § 25 of the Collective Agreement for University Employees for a period of 5 years. The appointment may only be extended after an appointment procedure has been carried out in accordance with § 98 of the Universities Act.
Level of employment: part-time, employment extent of 50 % of full-employment
Pay: Collective agreement minimum monthly salary currently € 2,718.85 gross (14 x annually); any higher salary can be made the subject of appointment negotiations.
We look forward to receiving your written application together with documents proving the above-mentioned employment requirements.
End of application period: 15.06.2022
Applications should be sent electronically under reference 23/22 to email@example.com.
The university is striving to increase the proportion of women in its artistic staff and therefore strongly encourages qualified women to apply. Women will be given preference in the case of equal qualification.
Applicants are not entitled to compensation for the travel and lodging expenses that arise during the application procedure.
Following the concept of social sustainability at the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz, which interprets all aspects of special requirements, persons with special needs will be given preference in the case of equal qualification.
On behalf of the Rectorate
- Job type/category
- Minimal education
- degree or artistic aptitude
- Minimal experience
- 5 Years+ Experience
- Austria, Graz,
- Language requirements
- Working language(s)
- Deadline for application
- 15 Jun, 2022
- Start date
- 01 Mar, 2023