The University of Music and Performing Arts Graz – Institute Oberschützen – is offering a position for a
University Professorship for Violin
with likely commencement in the winter semester 2024/25 and based on § 98 of the Universities Act.
The University of Music and Performing Arts Graz – the KUG – with around 2,300 students at its campuses in Graz and Oberschützen, is an international university offering a wide range of courses in music and the performing arts. Located in the heart of Europe, we build on the cultural heritage of our region and at the same time explore and contribute to current trends in the contemporary arts. We engage with international developments in the arts, pedagogy and research, and explore the significance of art and culture in society. Teachers and students work cooperatively in this process. We are committed to fostering gender mainstreaming, diversity, and sustainability in order to transform the artistic and cultural sector, as well as to further develop our institution. In connection with the advertised professorship special attention should be paid to Oberschützen as a training location, since all orchestral instruments are represented there at one institute, which is not only unique in Austria, but at the same time also opens up a wide range of possibilities.
- teaching, particularly in the main artistic subject Violin in the fields of study Instrumental Study (Orchestra Instruments) as well as Music Education-Voice and Instruments
- responsible representation and promotion of the subject in its entirety, in particular in the development and practice of its arts-based activity and research
- networking and communication with the institutes of the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz (in particular institutes 3 String Instruments and 5 Music Education) in the terms of a sustainable cooperation within the university
- active participation in the further development of the university’s teaching environment and its artistic and scholarly life, as well as helping to shape the academic autonomy of the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz
- participation in organisational, administrative and evaluation duties
- relevant tertiary qualification from an Austrian or international institution, equivalent artistic aptitude
- outstanding personality with the highest artistic qualification for the position, especially in orchestral playing
- outstanding international artistic career as soloist and chamber musician
- comprehensive knowledge of different musical styles
- proven teaching experience at a tertiary level as well as outstanding pedagogical and didactic competence
- competence and/or experience in the areas of Gender and Diversity
- If German is not the applicant’s native language, a willingness to learn German with the aim of reaching at least level B2 within a fixed period of time is assumed.
Contract: Indefinite employment contract according to § 25 of the collective agreement for university employees
Level of employment: Full-time
Salary: The collective agreement specifies a minimum monthly gross salary, currently €5,826.50 (14 x annually); a higher salary may be negotiated.
We are looking forward to receiving your written application together with documents proving the above-mentioned employment requirements.
Application deadline: 29.08.2023
Applications should be sent by e-mail with the reference number 48/23 to
The University of Music and Performing Arts Graz aims to increase the proportion of women among its artistic and scientific staff and therefore explicitly invites qualified women to apply. In the event of underrepresentation, women with equal qualifications will be given priority.
Persons with disabilities or chronic illnesses who meet the required qualification criteria are expressly invited to apply.
Applicants are not entitled to compensation for the travel and lodging expenses that arise during the application procedure.
On behalf of the Rectorate
- Job type/category
- Minimal education
- Minimal experience
- 1 - 3 Years Experience
- Language requirements
- English, German,
- Working language(s)
- English, German,
- Deadline for application
- 29 Aug, 2023
- Start date
- 01 Oct, 2024