The University of Music and Performing Arts Graz - Institute of Early Music and Performance Practice - is offering a position for a
University Professorship for Historical Bassoon Instruments
with likely commencement in the winter semester 2024/25 and based on § 98 of the Universities Act.
The University of Music and Performing Arts Graz – the KUG – with around 2,300 students at its campuses in Graz and Oberschützen, is an international university offering a wide range of courses in music and the performing arts. Located in the heart of Europe, we build on the cultural heritage of our region and at the same time explore and contribute to the current trends in contemporary arts. We engage with international developments in the arts, pedagogy and research and question the significance of art and culture in society. Teachers and students work cooperatively in this process. We see the potential of gender, diversity and sustainability as an opportunity for transformation of the artistic and cultural sector, and for the further development of our institution.
The Institute of Early Music and Performance Practice sees itself as an interface between research, teaching and as a podium for Historically Informed Performance Practice. The main artistic subject Historical Bassoon Instruments is to be firmly anchored in the music of the 16th to 19th centuries. As a bass instrument, a consort instruments and as part of Harmoniemusik, bassoon instruments hold an important place in the center of the institute.The innovative curriculum offers students broad options for choice and specialization.Numerous projects and cooperation with other institutes and institutions enrich the range of courses on offer.
• teaching in the fields of study Early Music and Instrumental and Vocal Pedagogy in the main artistic subject “Historical Bassoon Instruments”, as well as in the subjects “Reed Making/ (Dulcian) Consort / Harmoniemusik” and “Repertoire studies and Organology of main subject”, “Practical Projects”, “Ensemble Projects”
• responsible representation and promotion of the subject in its entirety, in particular in the development and practice of its arts-based activity and research
• project collaboration in the artistic and scientific field within the institute, the KUG and in cooperation with national and international partner institutions
• active participation in the further development of the university’s teaching environment and its artistic and scholarly life, as well as helping shape the academic autonomy of the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz
• participation in organisational, administrative and evaluation duties
• relevant tertiary qualification from an Austrian or international institution, or equivalent artistic aptitude
• outstanding personality with the highest artistic qualification for the position
• outstanding pedagogical and didactic competency
• internationally outstanding artistic career
• experience in complementary fields such as musicology, music pedagogy, transdisciplinary performance, improvisation, etc.
• particular competence on dulcian (curtal)
• competence and/or experience in the areas of Gender and Diversity
• If German is not the applicant’s native language, a willingness to learn German with the aim of reaching at least level B2 within a fixed period of time is assumed.
Contract: Indefinite employment contract according to § 25 of the collective agreement for university employees
Level of employment: Part-time, employment extent of 50% of full-employment
Pay: Collective agreement minimum monthly salary currently € 2,913.25 gross (14 x annually); any higher salary can be made the subject of appointment negotiations.
We look forward to receiving your written application together with documents proving the above-mentioned employment requirements.
End of application period: 06.06.2023
Applications should be sent electronically under reference 27/23 to bewerbung-UProf@kug.ac.at
The University of Music and Performing Arts Graz aims to increase the proportion of women among its artistic and scientific staff and therefore explicitly invites qualified women to apply. In the event of underrepresentation, women with equal qualifications will be given priority.
Persons with disabilities or chronic illnesses who meet the required qualification criteria are expressly invited to apply.
Applicants are not entitled to compensation for the travel and lodging expenses that arise during the application procedure.
On behalf of the Rectorate
- Job type/category
- Minimal education
- Minimal experience
- 1 - 3 Years Experience
- Language requirements
- English, German,
- Working language(s)
- English, German,
- Deadline for application
- 06 Jun, 2023
- Start date
- 01 Oct, 2024