The University of Music and Performing Arts Graz, Institute of Music Education, is offering a position for a
University Professorship for Music Therapy
presumably beginning with the winter semester 2022/23 and based on § 99 of the Universities Act.
The University of Music and Performing Arts Graz – the KUG- is an internationally renowned educational institution in the heart of Europe with campuses in Graz and Oberschützen. At 17 institutes, two doctoral schools and a centre for gender research, it offers highly qualified teaching and research as well as the development, exploration and analysis of the arts. The focus is on Artistic Citizenship and the connection between Austrian musical tradition and the innovative contemporary positioning. For researchers, the university offers an attractive environment. The focus is on music-related research, ranging from natural science and technology to social science and humanities approaches, and also includes artistic research. Theatre studies and gender research complete the research portfolio.
As a place of education and as an employer, the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz sees itself as part of an open society that takes diversity into account through its work.
The professorship will be established at the Institute of Music Education, which, in addition to the teacher training programme for general secondary level in the subjects of Music Education and Music Education - Instruments and the study of Instrumental and Vocal Pedagogy, also offers two university courses as well as courses for advanced training and continuing music education.
• responsible representation and promotion of the subject area in research and teaching
• teaching in the Bachelor's programme Music Therapy and especially in courses of the Master's programme Music Therapy for which a venia docendi is required
• acquisition of third-party funding
• supervision of scientific theses
• imparting of broad practice-oriented skills as a music therapist
• continuation and expansion of national and international networking and cooperation (e.g. with health care providers and institutions for the development of internship opportunities and research projects)
• active participation in the further development of the university’s teaching environment and its artistic and scholarly life, as well as helping shape the academic autonomy of the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz
• participation in organisational, administrative and evaluation duties
• completed studies in Music Therapy (the acquired qualification must entitle the holder to be registered in the Music Therapist List in Austria on his/her own responsibility)
• a degree at the doctoral level from an Austrian or comparable foreign educational institute relevant to the position
• proof of adequate scientific publication activity in the subject to be filled
• pedagogical and didactic aptitude for university teaching at an excellent level
• several years of practical experience as a music therapist in a clinical setting
• competence and/or experience in the areas of Gender and Diversity
• if German is not the native language, it is assumed that there is the willingness to learn German with the aim of reaching at least level B2 within a fixed period of time.
Additional qualifications, such as psychotherapy training, are desired.
A prerequisite for the acceptance as an employee at the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz is the proof of a valid vaccination status against COVID-19 in the sense of the COVID-19 Vaccination Obligation Act, unless an exception as defined in the aforementioned law applies. If this proof cannot be provided on the day of the beginning of the employment relationship, no employment relationship will be established.
Contract: Temporary employment relationship pursuant to § 25 of the Collective Agreement for University Employees for a period of 5 years. The appointment may only be extended after an appointment procedure has been carried out in accordance with § 98 of the Universities Act.
Level of employment: full-time
Pay: Collective agreement minimum monthly salary currently € 5,437.70 gross (14 x annually); any higher salary can be made the subject of appointment negotiations.
Interested candidates with the appropriate qualifications are invited to submit their written application including a cover letter as well as documents verifying the employment requirements listed above (CV, certificates, list of publications and courses held etc.).
End of application period: 02.03.2022
Applications should be sent electronically under reference 03/22 to firstname.lastname@example.org
The university is striving to increase the proportion of women in its academic staff and therefore strongly encourages qualified women to apply. Women will be given preference in the case of equal qualification.
Applicants are not entitled to compensation for the travel and lodging expenses that arise during the application procedure.
Following the concept of social sustainability at the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz, which interprets all aspects of special requirements, persons with special needs will be given preference in the case of equal qualification.
On behalf of the Rectorate
- Job type/category
- Minimal education
- Minimal experience
- 5 Years+ Experience
- Other location
- Language requirements
- Working language(s)
- Deadline for application
- 02 Mar, 2022
- Start date
- 01 Oct, 2022